Enquire

Tourism chief reveals €6 million Algarve marketing budget

The Algarve Tourism Association's (ATA) new president has pledged funds of €6 million to be spent on promoting the sunny region to overseas visitors, portugalresident.com reports.

Announcing the multi-million euro budget, Carlos Luís said that the money would be used specifically for campaigns in foreign markets and that with any luck, the budget could be increased later in the month.

Luís, who has just taken over the presidency from Desidério Silva, added that this was the first time that such funds had been awarded at the beginning of the year, which "helps us greatly, as there is much to plan".

The money derives from several different sources: €1 million has been invested by the private sector with another €1 million raised by the ATA itself. The remaining €4 million has been issued by Turismo de Portugal, the national board.

Tourism efforts thus far appear to be working, according to algarvedailynews.com. The region experienced good results in December, despite less than positive forecasts.

Revenues at the hotels, restaurants and other businesses which remained open during the Christmas period were up 2.2 per cent on the previous year's takings.

The Algarve's Association of Hotels and Resorts said that occupancy rates were at 26.1 per cent for the period, which is a rise of four per cent year-on-year.

Posted on Thursday, January 9, 2014

Share on: